If the surgery was unique and individualized to you, shouldn’t the rehab be as well?
Your rehab should address why you had to undergo surgery in the first place!Yes, there are some very basic instructions and exercises to follow after surgery. Beyond this, however, rehab should address the following:
- Features that may have contributed to why you needed surgery including range of motion limitations, weakness, and movement dysfunctions.
- Proper progression after meeting your short-term milestone criteria and goals.
- Specialization. In other words, training towards the specific demands for your daily life, work, athletics, and fun activities…(yes, fun activities!)
- A focus on long-term goals.
- You, the individual, and your physical and emotional response to the surgery and subsequent treatments.